Imagine a future where community and non-profit organizations have access to top-notch developer talent from around the world. In such a future, we could unleash the unlimited potential of technology to make it a better place. We could quickly build powerful and meaningful solutions to critical problems like natural resource management and disaster management, which could result in millions of lives bettered or saved. The Random Hacks of Kindess team is working to make this future a reality, today.
Twice a year, RHoK brings together developers, designers, and managers in cities around the world, who team up with local community representatives in search of technology solutions to local and global issues. Each RHoK event is structured as a two-day marathon of hacking where developers have a set amount of time to solve the challenges they are given. At the end, a panel of judges reviews the solutions. The winning teams are rewarded with prizes, and the chance to see their applications get massive traction in real-life situations.
While solving high-impact problems, one of the main aims of RHoK events is to make it engaging for people while they're at it.
- Developers, designers, and product managers have the opportunity to network with their peers from the local community, showcase their talents, and engage in what they truly love doing.
- Subject matter experts get to meet their colleagues and gather information about the broad range of efforts in the region. They also get to drive teams to build solutions to the issues they are most passionate about.
- Speakers and judges have the opportunity to inspire a crowd of people to build solutions that are truly world-changing.
- Sponsors of the event can represent their companies and spread the word about the work they do. If a sponsor is offering a data set or API to power problem solutions at the event, they also have an opportunity to generate some buzz about these.
- Everyone gets free drinks, food, and a t-shirt!
The city of Austin will play host to yet another RHoK event on June 1 - 3 2012. The city is bursting with color and life at this time of the year, which aptly reflects the passion of its upcoming tech community. The first RHoK Austin event was held in December 2011, and was a resounding success. Some of the solutions that came out of the last event are:
- Ready Global App
- The Collaboration Project
- Community Emergency Response Teams (CERTs)
- Let's Give Millions of People a Voice Who Currently Can't Speak
- CT Map - Community Technology Resource Map
- Breakthrough Austin - Tracking Student Success
RHoK Austin takes its fun very seriously. The event starts off with a reception where participants have a great time relaxing and meeting like-minded peers. The fun continues into the weekend, developers typically working through Saturday night with their fill of coffee and snacks. And after the winners are announced on Sunday, the after-party begins! This is the time for participants to unwind and celebrate their achievements over the packed weekend.
We are currently looking for participants, subject matter experts, sponsors, speakers, and judges for RHoK Austin. If you are inspired by what this event has to offer, please get in touch with the RHoK team on our website. Come help us RHoK once more!