Our Philosophy on the Openness of Technology and Data
RHoK believes that:
- Technology innovations can have significant impact on social development, especially when focused on solving practical problems.
- Open source is well suited in social development because it gives people the freedom to learn, use, improve and share technology.
- Open source provides a basic framework for individuals and organizations to collaborate in developing technology solutions for social development.
- Open source supports economic development through small business creation, employment and trade.
- Open data can inform decision making, accelerate innovation, and support accountability.
Project Licensing and Code Sharing
We believe in giving participants the most freedom possible in licensing their work, balanced with the freedom of others to use and adapt technologies to their needs. We require that all projects worked on through RHoK:
- Are licensed under an OSI approved license. While you are free to choose any license, we recommend using one listed as “Licenses that are popular and widely used or with strong communities”.
- Have their code posted on a publicly available code repository. GitHub and Google Code are popular choices.
Out of Scope Projects
While we wish to be inclusive to all disciplines and projects focused on social development, RHoK can not support the development of projects that are:
- Illegal in the US or country of the participants
- Primarily political, sectarian or religious in nature
- Discriminatory to any person or group of persons
- Related to weapons/ammunition, tobacco, or adult-oriented
For questions or feedback please email us at email@example.com.