Pound Around the World is an online game to teach kids the value of money.
We aim to deliver the message by showing kids how far one pound can go, through a series of questions.
We believe that parents have a real challenge explaining kids the value of money in a fun and educational way.
For kids, the only reference to the cost of things is what they can buy in the store - a pack of gum, toys etc. We want to surprise them by showing how much one pound can buy around the world.
For example, in south america, one pound can save 7 trees in the rain forest!
Young people are inquisitive and keen to learn facts which they can tell their friends and family. By learning about value of other things in different countries we feel that young people would better appreciate the value of the money in their pocket.
There are 8,500,000 young people in the UK aged between 5 and 16.
Although there are an increasing amount of people using the internet via mobile (45%) we were keen for no young people to be excluded from enjoying and learning about the value of money hence why we are using a website as 77% of households in the UK have access to the internet.
We had a great team and were able to execute on the following:
- Defined the problem
- Defined the solution (brainstorming session)
- Created wireframes
- Drafted content - questions, virtual goods, currency exchange
- Created initial game framework
- Refine content - make sure it's FUN
- Work on flow - transition between levels, etc
- Sounds - sound bank, need to add sounds and music
- Design -
- Research on competitors products
- Create logo
- Define look and feel
- Concept and execute the travel theme
- Layout for four different template pages
- Illustrations for all the pages
- Assets supplied to the developer
- Development -
- Backend - integrate questions and answers
- Frontend - incorporate designs
- Run a demo!
We were able to create a fully functioning demo with 5 levels!
The next immediate step is to release the game and work on distribution on existing game portals, educational game sites and communities for kids/parents.
For future development:
- Create additional levels
- Add social element and leader board
- Allow function for purchase of full game for £1
- In the full game you would also have the opportunity to play Burgernomics where people would hhave to guess the relative price of a burger around the world in a timed challenge in a 'Price is Right' style game.
We would love your ideas and help to take a Pound Around the World forward.
Please feel free to make any suggestions below.